Is God conservative?

| March 8, 2009

Interviewer: All right. I asked about what You look like. Perhaps I can ask what You like?
God: If you want to know what I like, just check and see what I made.
Interviewer: One must conclude that You like a lot of different things if we look at the variety of creation. But not all of it is beautiful.
God: In its original state, it is.
Interviewer: That would be wilderness?
God: No, I didn’t originally create it wilderness, but if it is not tended, it turns into wilderness.
Interviewer: So You intended humanity to tend the earth?
God: Yes. Looking after the earth was one of the original tasks for humanity.
Interviewer: You say “one of.” Are there others?
God: Living in harmony with his fellows and helping each other are also the duties of man.
Interviewer: I assume, from what I have heard, that interacting with You is another?
God: Yes, most definitely.
Interviewer: You said You gave us the job of tending the earth. Did You then intend for man to leave it pretty much as is? Or was it in Your plan for us to improve things?
God: Oh yes! Of course I wanted humanity to improve on what I gave, to make advancements, to learn and to progress.
Interviewer: But aren’t You conservative by nature?
God: Explain what you mean by conservative.
Interviewer: One has the opinion that those who are religious tend to be conservative in their views, liking things the way they are and preferring not to change. If You are the main influence in their lives, it would seem by association that You must also be conservative.
God: If by that you mean someone who is resistant to change, then I would have to say that I am anything but conservative. But if you mean someone who holds traditional views, then depending on what the tradition is, I could be regarded as conservative.
Interviewer: So You are and You aren’t.
God: I am not someone or something that you can neatly define. I am God and so I do not fit into any of your pigeonholes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment